Monday, September 10, 2012

The Author Vanishes

So I kind of abandoned this place again.

 

Well, no, that’s not true.  Actually, I wrote probably a dozen updates, all of them perhaps 1000 words long, and then I trashed them because I kind of hated them. 

 

It’s a stress thing.

 

Why am I stressed?

 

Some of it is pretty normal stuff.  My daughter started kindergarten, which means there’s a new schedule at my household. 

 

Previous to that, we had a summer that was so busy I think we got one weekend off from running somewhere, all the time.

 

Heck, my little one was gone for a week, and so we scheduled time with all the people we literally hadn’t seen in months.

 

We even saw a movie in a movie theater for the second time this year.

 

My wife and I are also prepping to start a second adoption process, which means rearranging our entire house.

 

In the midst of all of this, I was working on another novel.  And trying to get my movie-making book done, because it should have been done a long time ago.

 

And I wrote a little novella that I was hoping would make it into the Red Iris Books anthology.  I was trying to do Lovecraft justice, and I think I did okay, and as it turns out Red Iris agrees, so that’ll be out before too long.

 

Which is good, so you should totally check out their web site here:

 

http://redirisbooks.com/

 

Also you should click that link so you can see the new artwork for Blood Calling, which is no longer going to be published by me.  No.  It’s going to be published by Red Iris Books.

 

Along with the two sequels.  And Baby Teeth. 

 

Just this morning I sent Red Iris my final edit, which means we just have to get through the final copyedit and then the book will launch for the second time, and then we get to start all over with Misfits.  And also Baby Teeth.  And then The Enforcers.

 

And I’m already really tired.  Did I mention that?

 

But wait, there’s more!

 

In the middle of working on those edits, I got an email from my writing partner, Stephen Unger.  He had a manager who wanted to see The Paper Castle: The Feature Film Version.  So I looked at the script, and gave Stephen some notes (because I just didn’t have time to edit it myself…) and now one manager has passed it to another and… something might happen?

 

I am quite certain I shouldn’t say anything else, because that would probably be a major faux pas.

 

So yeah.  I’m tired.

 

Which means that all the little bits that usually come together when I start writing aren’t.

 

Meanwhile, here’s what you need to know:

 

The Red Iris Anthology will be out… soonish.  There will even be a physical version!  Which means that people can finally buy a physical book with my work in it.  This will be very exciting to some people.

 

The Blood Calling books will be out as we edit them.  They’re being reworked a bit.  If you want to buy them again, to support a new author, go ahead.  But they won’t be all that different from the original versions.

 

Because of this, by the way, the old versions will be coming down off Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I already pulled the Smashwords versions weeks ago.

 

At the rate we’re going, I’m guessing I probably won’t finish another new novel until the end of the year.  We shall see.  We shall, indeed.

 

And now, I need to get back to editing.  I shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment