Sunday, November 27, 2011

How to Find a Job: Books

(This article is part of a book called How to Find a Job, which now is available as an ebook on Kindle, nook, and Smashwords. All of the chapters have been revised, many have been expanded, and the book contains three bonus chapters (including Negotiating) that are not available on this blog.)

When I started writing this book, my plan was to revisit all the books I read during the time I was job searching. Over the course of my unemployment, I read more than dozen books on things like marketing, and job hunting, and different aspects of the job search.
But here’s the thing: They were all pretty much the same.
So when people asked me for recommendations, I always fell back on the first one I read: “What Color is Your Parachute?”
The author updates it every year, in order to keep it somewhat current with the state of the job market. But the guts of it are pretty much the same year by year. It walks you through a lot of the things I’ve written about here in explicit detail. Thing like figuring out what you need, and knowing what you want to be when you grow up.
If you’re a reasonably fast reader, you can get through the text in a day. But all the self-evaluation will probably take you a week. Maybe two, if you take your time and do it as methodically as possible.
Are there other job books? Yes. But this was the one that made an impression, and I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment